Bullwood Hall, Hockley, Essex
Client: Harrow Estates
Bullwood Hall is locally listed, built in 1887 as a gentlemen’s residence and set in a large estate. In 1962, the estate was sold and became the site of a new prison. The old house was used as accommodation for prison officers for several decades but has more recently become derelict.
The prison closed in 2013 and an outline planning application was submitted by Harrow Estates Plc for 60 residential units across the site. Our role was to assess the potential impact of the changes to the access road which affected the settings of several listed buildings, and to assess the potential heritage significance of Bullwood Hall itself, to inform emerging design proposals.